Monday, November 10, 2008

Such a Long Time....

It's been a while since my last blog and a lot has happened since then. Given that my work software is currently frozen and I'm waiting it for to restart, I thought I'd finish updating the blog which I had started yesterday. So here is a quick rundown of things that happened in the last few weeks and my thoughts regarding them.

Halloween

I had a blast on Halloween, I dressed up as a bumble bee and went out with my good friends Jared and Martha and a few of Martha's coworkers. We tried going out to downtown SJ, but it was crazy. The club we were originally trying to get into had a line around the entire building, and given our impatience in standing in really long lines, we decided to go else where. Although amongst all the people, it was really cool seeing every body's costumes. There were a lot of people dressed up as the "joker" which I expected. One of the places we went to however, there was a guy who liked exactly like the joker from the last Batman movie. I have to admit, the coolest costume was my friend Jared's. He dressed up like a Spartan warrior, and others admired his costume when we were out as well. It wasn't as fun as when we went to the Castro district a few years ago and he was dressed up as Batman and got his ass cheeks pinched, but it was still fun. We ended the night by going over to a bar in Campbell that we actually went to last year. It's small but a fun place. Overall, it was really fun, and nice I didn't have to go back to work the next day. Here are some pics:

2008 Elections
This year was a historic year for the elections, which I found very exciting. Although I live in California, I still vote in Washington, as that is where I am registered still. Given such, I was unable to vote on any of the California propositions, but was sad that Proposition 8, which no along allows gay people to get married was passed. It was a sad day for the equality of humans. On a brighter note, I was happy that Barak Obama got elected into office. I left work early that day, around 5:30 go to home and watch as all the votes started to pour in, as they did starting at 5. By 7, Obama's election into the office was all but sealed, but the 8 o'clock push of the wonderful states of Washington, Oregon and Washington sealed the deal. It got a little emotional watching Obama deliver his acceptance speech. Although I may not agree with every single of his positions regarding the economy, taxes, etc, I think that he will bring a well needed "change" to the oval office. Amongst it all I was impressed about McCain's concession speech, as well has how beautifully ran his campaign was. I have a lot of respect for him and look forward to seeing what is in store for the country.
PwC Grinch
All PwC employees got an email last Friday saying that the firm has decided to cancel both formal and informal Christmas Parties this year. They tried to console us by the fact that they would give $1.5 M to charity (half of what they spend on the xmas parties), and keep the other half for themselves. Also they would be giving us an extra paid holiday (which we've gotten off the last three years since I've worked for the firm). Given those circumstances, the consolation prizes were weak. Not to say we shouldn't give to charity, but I don't see why we can't do both. PwC is not hurting by any means, as they have been engaged to audit the Government bail out plan (were talking about millions here), and amongst the banks that have gone down, all of those that aquired these banks are PwC clients, so were talking even more millions in dollars in revenues.
PwC is not hurting.
However, PwC employees work hours and hours of overtime with no overtime pay, and our year end bonuses are not close to compensating us for our time. However, the Holiday party is the one time people look forward to, when people bring their significant others so they can meet all the people they spend so much of their time with. Honestly, it something I look forward to ever year. I was especially looking forward to it this year because Gary was going to go with me, and I wanted him to meet all my coworkers. Not only that, but they are starting to cancel other extracurricular types of gatherings , which also find ridiculous.
Luckily, I've already starting talking to recruiters that are going to help me find a job in southern California when I move down next march, and I couldn't be happier. I am done with PwC, giving them so many hours of my life, with absolutely nothing in return.
SF ZOO
Last weekend, Gary came to visit and we decided to go to the Zoo. The weather was a little drizzly so there weren't too many people there, but it was fun. We saw Lions, and tigers and bears, oh my. Ok sorry, I had to do it. We spent about 2.5 hours there, which was the perfect time as far as I'm concerned. Gary loved the lions, and I thought the Gorillas and the Giraffes were the coolest. There as a portion called the "insect zoo" that was a little barn of insects and glass boxes. I refused to go in there. I told Gary he'd have to pay me $100 to go in there for five minutes, because I have no interest in seeing those things. Other than that it was pretty fun.
After the zoo, we went to Union square to walk around for a little bit, and then when we got a little hungry, we went to Buca di Beppos for a little six month anniversary dinner. It was YUMMY. One of my friends, Mike, met up with us for a little bit,which was cool. Mike and Gary get along really well, so I'm glad that he came by. After that, Gary and I went to Ghiradelli square to share a warm brownie sundae... mmmmmmm. :)
The next day we just hung out at home. He was supposed to leave on a 3:10 flight, but I wanted him to stay longer. So I called Southwest to see if I could change his time, and they changed it to 7:1o for FREE! I was so happy! I'm glad that I called or I would have been sad the rest of the day. Those extra four hours really make a difference when you only see the person every two weeks. However, when I go visit him in two weeks, I'll get to stay down there for 8 days, which I am SO excited about. My parents are also going to visit me while I'm down there so they can meet Gary's parents and sister. That should be fun also. Two weeks away, well more like 12 days... and the countdown starts! I always have so much fun with him, and I'm happy that I get to spend his birthday, thanksgiving, and other fun stuff with him that week.
Alrighty, back to work! I hope everybody has a good week! :)

No comments: