And oh gosh do I miss those days. But I can console myself in the fact that despite not participating in those activities, that I retained the best part of Christmas which is spending time with my family. And since I missed Christmas last year due to my trip to India, I'm much more excited this year than I have been in past year. I also have so much to be grateful for.
I have a job, albeit not my dream job, but its a job that pays well. I have friends that would do anything for me, which I'm also grateful for. I have a wonderful family that has stood me when I was an insecure, shy bookworm and watched me grow into a confident, intelligent independent woman and proud of me for it. I also have a man in my life that loves me, and despite the bumps we've had in our relationship, and have high hopes that the end of the road of my life will lead to him.
Regardless, despite the fact that I can't do all those fun things I did in elementary school, there are things I just won't let go of:
- Driving around to see Christmas lights, including Christmas in the Park in San Jose (which I did this weekend).
- Buying lots of presents for my family/friends.
- Watching as many cheesy Christmas movies as I can, including my favorite ELF with Will Ferrel.
- Singing to my favorite Christmas songs at the top of my lungs in the cars.
- Eating Emily's "famous Howard cookies." I would do anything for those cookies, and she knows it.
- Smiling at Santa Clause when I see him in the mall even though I know he's not the real deal.
And to further get myself in the spirit I have bought a mini Christmas tree and put it in my room to bring back some of those feelings I used to get those early cold mornings in Portland.
See the pic below:
No comments:
Post a Comment