So here is my first blog living as a southern Californian, which I've technically been for about a week now. I have so many emotions going through me right now that its hard to even articulate them.
First of all, I came down with a terrible cold/flu the last 4 days. It sucked really bad. What makes it worse is that my brother/family was visiting me, which I was so excited about. They both made very far trips to come down here for Gary's sister's prewedding ceremonies. It sucked that I couldn't relish all the time together since I felt miserable and was hopped up on NyQuil most of the time.
Anyway, for those I haven't talked to in a while, I got a job offer in El Segundo, California, which I start next week from one of my managers I worked with in PwC San Jose. Originally, I was going to take a leave of absence until July 1, where I'd start in the Orange county office. I know have a consulting opportunity in El Segundo, which is about 35 miles away from me. This is going to be a really good opportunity. I'll be doing consulting work- so it will be much different from auditing, which I was getting tired of. Also, this job will consist of some international travel which I'm really stoked about. I think its great for my career- it will be great to add to my resume. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to taking a few months off from work, but 1. its hard for me to say no to work in a recessed economy, and 2. its an amazing opportunity.
Aside from that I've spent the last week getting settled in my apartment. I really love living on my own. Its the first time I've done it. I thought I'd be a little scared being a girl and being on my own, but it doens't feel so different. I feel secure in the neighborhood that I live in, as well as the complex so I don't worry about it too much. I've got some real furniture, thanks to both online furniture and my parents. In the last week I/we (my parents) have gotten my a sofa bed, coffee table/end tables, a dresser, dining room set, and a vacuum, and lets not forget the power drill. I am very blessed to have parents that take care of me even at the age of 26. I will ensure to repay these favors to my own children when they start off on their own.
Moving on, I have to admit that I'm a little anxious about my decision of moving down there. I think its natural to wonder "did i do the right thing", but it was very difficult to leave what I had in San Jose. I feel like I gave up a lot. A career where I was very well respected, and friends that are worth more than their weight in gold. This is the third time I've "started over" and it gets harder every time I do it. The first time was when I moved away to college. That was a pretty smooth transition given I move in a dorm with hundreds of people were in the same situation as me, and were eager to make friends as I was. I met some of my best friends in the walls of those dorms. Moving to San Jose and starting to PwC was a bit more difficult, but I started with colleges that were fresh out of college, which made making friends so much easier. Again, I made friends which have become among my closest "inner circle."
I have more fears coming here and not having the same outlets to make friends because it wont be as easy, and as we all know I can be quite shy when I first meet people. Tomorrow I have to register my car in California (don't ask) as well as get a Californians driver license. I've told people that I hadn't done it to date because I was lazy (which is mostly true) but I think subconsciously I int want to let go of being a "Washingtonian" because that's where my heart is.
I'll let you all know how it goes, please wish me luck. Please see a pic below of my complex... courtesy of my brother :o)
I'll take more pics of my place once I have it clean and fully furnished.
No comments:
Post a Comment