Monday, September 15, 2008

The Great Northwest

Ah the great nothwest. It is where I grew up, spent a majority of my life, and then left seeking oppertunites to further my career and come into my own. As I was driving home from work today, I was thinking that, if my life is to continue on the path it is now, I will never live in the great northwest again (for reasons that are to complex to mention here).

I don't know if its whether you remember things more fondly in retrospect, or if its a true genuine attachment, but I feel like me a piece of me died. Part of it is understandable. My roots are there as the majority of my life's memories are captured within the walls of the Salmon Creek Motel.

Also, despite the reason that I've decided to live so far away, I think a part of me always thought I'd come back. I love the thought of my parents helping me raise my children, teaching them to speak gujrathi like my grandma taught me. Aside from these reasons, I realized there are little things that I will miss, and miss today since I live in San Jose. As I am a dorky auditor, I've bullet pointed them below:
  • Family and Friends. Okay this is an obvious one, a majority of the family that I am close to lives in the northwest, as do my friends. I've been fortunate to make friends outside of the northwest, which is comforting, but doesn't make me miss those there any less.

  • Seasons. You really appreciate the warmth of the summer when you don't get 365 days a year. It becomes more special. Christmas wouldn't be so special if we had every day right?

  • Cold weather. I love wearing cute coats, matching gloves and scarves during the wintertime carying hot chai or cocoa to my destination. Also, lets face it ladies, we all love the extra 5 pounds of winter weight we carry because its so easy to hide in these oversized coats.

  • The Scenery. Although I don't appreciate it as much as I should, anybody that lives in the northwest is lucky to live amougst such beautity.

  • No sales tax. Nothing more need to be said, it's wonderful.

  • Christmas. It's always cold during Christmas time. Any type of weather is just wrong.

  • People. Most are unpretentious, unvain, friendly people. People who have better things to do then assume the demise of their life if they go from a size 0 to a size 2.

Those are the ones on the top of my head. There are many more subtle, smaller nuances that will be missed. Although it's not as I will never visit, but lets face it; its never the same as living there And although I'm excited about the life ahead of me, there is a part of me that can't help but to be sad to lose that part of my life.

1 comment:

Yasmine said...

????
What's going on? Are you ENGAGED? ARe you buying a house in CA? Please clarify! :)